Silicon Valley Metabolic Psychiatry
What is Metabolic Psychiatry?
This new subfield, pioneered by Dr. Sethi Dalai, is at the intersection of metabolic health and mental health. It combines the principles of biological psychiatry with the additional perspective of optimization of one’s overall health metabolically by reducing inflammation and insulin resistance. We are gradually coming to understand that inflammation, oxidative stress, and insulin resistance may represent important root causes of many chronic brain illnesses, including many psychiatric disorders. Integration of this approach is an additional tool often overlooked in improving symptoms of depression, anxiety, and other illnesses associated with brain health. This encompasses how nutrition affects the brain, specifically focusing on reducing sugar, processed foods, and refined carbohydrates as a mechanism to improve mind and body health. However, it also encompasses treatment of obesity, an often undertreated chronic disease. Many Americans suffer from the disease of obesity and even malnutrition despite consuming excess calories. The quality of what we eat matters and Dr. Sethi Dalai believes that our food is also our medicine. Her focus in on improvement of metabolic health and mental health, thus depending on personalized needs, may employ tools such as a food prescription, medication management, and various therapeutic modalities.
Dr. Sethi Dalai is board certified in Psychiatry and an Obesity Medicine physician whose approach to patient care combines expertise in nutrition, metabolism, and mental health to achieve optimum metabolic and mental health outcomes. She believes in the importance of evidence-based therapies and research, however recognizes medicine also involves variations to an individual. She is a practicing psychiatrist and treats a broad range of diagnoses with a combination of pharmacotherapies, psychotherapy, and nutritional medicine principles when clinically appropriate. She employs various methods and tools depending on what is best for her patients.
Silicon Valley Metabolic Psychiatry offers a specialized program suited to an individual’s biology and needs. This unique program is an evidence-based, individually tailored, lifestyle focused program designed to optimize brain health and physical health of an individual.
Conditions Treated/Specialize In:
Binge Eating Disorder
Psychological Consequences of Obesity and Trauma
Anxiety and Mood Disorders
Treatment may include:
· Comprehensive psychiatric care
· Medication monitoring, adjustments, management of adverse effects
· Psychotherapies, including DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy), CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), supportive therapy, time-limited insight oriented therapy, and psychodynamic psychotherapy.
· Comprehensive lab evaluation including labs not typically done at the primary care doctor’s office. If clinically appropriate, this may include traditional and advanced screening for poor metabolic health. For example, the latest research supporting testing biomarkers of inflammation and a full genetic profile for brain health. Treatment incorporates individual genetic predispositions and metabolic abnormalities.
· One-time consultation/second-opinion available
· Symptom scale monitoring
· Meal planning, coaching, dietary and lifestyle guidance, education